In late February 2018, consultants with Confluence Research and Consulting shared their findings from the 2017 surveys at a series of public presentations. We'd like to extend our thanks to all who participated in this process. It was delightful to see so many interested citizens attend these presentations. Those combined results are now available in .pdf format (22.1MB file). If you prefer to look by island, those files are available below:
Local, state, and federal agencies that manage lands or recreation facilities in the San Juan Islands sponsored a study in 2017 to collect better information about use, impacts, visitors, and preferences for management. The study addresses several questions related to San Juan Islands tourism, public lands, and recreation areas.
The study included:
• A survey of ferry passengers (visitors and residents). See an example of survey given here.
• Surveys of visitors to attraction sites (e.g. Lime Kiln State Park, Moran State Park, Shark Reef Sanctuary). See an example of the survey given here.
• Counts and observations of use at attraction sites
• An inventory of accommodations on the three main islands (San Juan, Orcas, and Lopez)
• Analyses of visitation from WSF, other passenger ferries, airlines, and marinas