Open Space Land
|Please direct all questions regarding the application process and status of your application to Community Development.|
The program allows property owners to have their open space land valued at their current use rather than at their highest and best use.
Qualifying Definition - Open Space Land is defined as any of the following:
- Any land area zoned for open space by a comprehensive official land use plan adopted by any city or county.
- Any land area in which the preservation in its present use would:
- Conserve and enhance natural or scenic resources.
- Protect streams or water supply.
- Promote conservation of soils, wetlands, beaches or tidal marshes.
- Enhance the value to the public of neighboring parks, forests, wildlife preserves, nature reservations or sanctuaries or other open space.
- Enhance recreation opportunities.
- Preserve historic sites.
- Retain in its natural state tracts of land not less than one acre situated in an urban area and open to public use on such conditions as may be reasonably required by the legislative authority granting the open space classification.
- Any land meeting the definition of “farm and agricultural conservation land,” which means either:
- Land previously classified under the farm and agricultural classification that no longer meets the criteria and is reclassified under open space land; or
- Traditional farmland,” not classified, that has not been irrevocably devoted to a use inconsistent with agricultural uses, and that has a high potential for returning to commercial agriculture.
When may I apply?Applications may be made for classification at any time during the year from January 1 through December 31. If approved, current use assessment will begin on January 1 following the year the application was submitted.
ApplicationApplication for Classification or Reclassification Open Space Land
Where do I file the application?
The application for open space classification is filed with San Juan County Community Development. Please direct all questions regarding the application process and status of your application to Community Development.
|Physical Address:||Mailing Address:||Phone Number:|
135 Rhone Street
Friday Harbor, WA
PO Box 947
Friday Harbor, WA 98250