- Both applicants must be at least 18 years of age or older. Picture identification showing birth date is required.
- If an applicant is 17 years of age, he or she must be accompanied by a parent or legal custodian to give consent.
- If an applicant is under the age of 17, he or she must obtain permission from the Superior Court Judge.
- There is no residency requirement.
applicantis divorced, proof of divorce is not required, but divorce must be final. Applicationmust be made a minimum of 3 days prior to marriage, as Washington law requires a 3-day waiting period. no exceptions can be made.
- no blood tests or other medical examinations are required in order to obtain a marriage license.
- Licenses issued by San Juan County are valid anywhere in the State of Washington.
Licenseis valid for ceremonies performed within 60 days of issuance.
- A Washington State license can only be used in the State of Washington.
- Same sex marriage has been legal in Washington since December 6, 2012.
All fees are authorized and established by the State Legislature.
- Marriage License application fee is $62 (includes one certified copy of marriage certificate), payable by credit card, cash or check at the time of application. This fee is not refundable.
- Additional Certified Copy of Marriage $3
- Uncertified Copy of Marriage $1
An application for a marriage license may be obtained by:
- Online Marriage License Application
- Phone: 360-378-2161
- Emailing the County Auditor
San Juan County Auditor
P.O. Box 638
Friday Harbor, WA 98250
Copies of Marriage Certificates & Applications
All records are kept in the Recording Division of the County Auditor’s Office. You can use the Online Document Search to find existing documents.
All marriage records are a matter of public record. The only exception is for persons enrolled in the State's Address Confidentiality Program. Once a marriage has been recorded, it cannot be unrecorded.