- Your Government
- Health & Community Services
- Healthy Communities
- Affordable Housing
Stable affordable housing is the foundation upon which community members build fulfilling lives. San Juan County has a demonstrated history of working to provide housing solutions and reduce homelessness in the community.
Health & Community Services currently operates the following affordable housing related services and projects:
Housing Advisory Committee
San Juan County Health & Community Services works together with many community partners and the Housing Advisory Committee in an effort to provide housing solutions and reduce homelessness in our community.
Our affordable housing program manages a variety of state grants and local recording surcharge funds designated for affordable housing. We provide limited direct housing assistance (Homeownership Assistance Program) and services. Our primary focus is working with and maintaining relationships with local providers of affordable housing. For additional information, see the Affordable Housing Frequently Asked Questions document.
On November 6, 2018 San Juan County voters approved a real estate excise tax with the purpose of funding affordable housing called the San Juan County Home Fund. The fund is projected to generate $15.2 million over a 12‐year period to develop, produce, and/or preserve affordable housing in San Juan County.
To date, the Home Fund has supported major housing projects including:
- OPAL’S Northern Heights and April’s Grove projects
- Housing Lopez’s FishBay Cottages
- Lopez Community Land Trust’s Salish Way III neighborhood
- San Juan Community Home Trust’s Salal, Sunrise, and HolliWalk neighborhoods
- The Opportunity Council’s Harborview Apartments
Find more information on the Home Fund's website: https://sjchomefund.com.
Affordable Housing Strategic Plan
In March 2016, the County Council authorized a Workgroup to develop an Affordable Housing Strategic Action Plan. The goal was to develop four to six prioritized actions to address housing issues, with actions to consider all factors affecting housing including: regulatory, funding, infrastructure costs, and land costs. The Workgroup held five meetings between March and November 2016 to develop the plan. After receiving a recommendation from the Housing Bank Commission (now the Housing Advisory Committee), on March 21st, 2017 the County Council adopted resolution no. 13-2017 which officially adopted the San Juan County Affordable Housing Workgroup Strategic Action Plan.
5-Year Homeless Plan
The County Council adopted a Five-Year Homeless Plan for the County on October 28, 2019 which may be viewed here: 2019-2024 San Juan County Five-Year Homeless Plan
- Award funds to organizations and providers of low-income housing.
- Provide rental subsidies directly to Apartment Management Companies for qualifying low-income residents.
- Conduct, with the assistance of numerous volunteers, the annual Point in Time Count of homeless people.
- Loan Program for First Time Homebuyers.
- Provide staff support to the Housing Advisory Committee, an advisory board to the county council