SAN JUAN COUNTY, WA. SEPT. 20, 2022 - This fall, Public Works will address a failing culvert under Olga Road - approximately 3/4 miles south of the one-lane Moran State Park bridge. An old 24-inch metal culvert is failing and threating the stability of the 25-foot-high roadway embankment.
The County plans to install a new 30-inch high-flow by-pass culvert above the existing culvert in order to relieve pressure on the roadway embankment during rain events. This effort is designed to mitigate the risks posed by the failing culvert while the County continues to develop a response to WDFW’s requirement to construct a new 7-foot culvert/bridge at this location.
What to Expect:
- A 12-hour road closure (6pm to 6am the following day) is necessary for this work.
- No date has been established for the road closure, but it will occur before November 12.
- During the road closure there will be no access through the work site. A detour is not available.
- The County will coordinate with emergency service providers.
- The County will continue to post information about this closure and will mobilized electronic reader boards on-site approximately two weeks before the closure is scheduled.
More information about this project can be found online at sanjuanco.com/278/Current-Projects. San Juan County thanks the public for their patience and support as we work to address critical infrastructure needs on Orcas and all islands.
Contact: Colin Huntemer, Public Works Director, email@example.com
About San Juan County’s Public Works Department:
San Juan County’s Public Works Department constructs and maintains county roads, designs and constructs storm water facilities, and plans and contracts for solid waste services. The department offices are located at 915 Spring Street, Friday Harbor, WA 98250. For more information about San Juan County’s Public Works Department, visit www.sanjuanco.com/277/Public-Works.