SAN JUAN COUNTY, WA. December 14, 2022 – San Juan County Parks and Fair staff are already planning for the 2023 Fair! It is with great excitement that San Juan County announces the theme: “Dancing with the Steers,” a play on the TV show “Dancing with the Stars.” With this in mind, the SJC Fair invites all interested artists to submit art for the 2023 poster. Show us your creative ideas of what “Dancing with the Steers” looks like! The 2023 Fair dates are Aug. 16th-19th.
The San Juan County Fair Board enjoys working with the local artists who donate their talents to make each year’s Fair poster special. Please review the poster guidelines below, and email submissions to email@example.com by January 30, 2023. Visit www.sjcfair.org or call 360.378.4310 for assistance. The San Juan County Fair Board will review submissions and make a choice during their February meeting.
- Submissions are accepted from anyone that is a San Juan County Resident.
- As the lead advertising and marketing image for the Fair event, each year's Fair poster must have four key text phrases worked into the design: "San Juan County Fair," the fair dates "August 16-19, 2023," the 2023 Fair theme "Dancing with the Steers," and the fair website "www.sjcfair.org."
- The concept must include some rendition of theme and Fair elements (could be the islands, farm animals, agricultural, summer season, carnival rides—the sky is the limit!)
- Poster sizing must be an 11" x 17" (ideal size) or 8.5" x 11"
- Art can be any medium, but final copy must be submitted in digital form (this is for printing purposes, and online sharing). Artist is responsible for producing the final digital image (high-resolution) so the work is properly represented.
POSTER SUBMISSION DEADLINES
- A scan/photo of a "concept draft" sent to Fair Board for consideration via email (email firstname.lastname@example.org). This can be a sketch, an outline, or partial piece depicting the intended design. The Fair Board may offer suggestions to design concepts.
- Fair Board reviews submission at the regular scheduled Fair Board meeting on February 11, 2023.
- Poster artist chosen is asked to produce final digital version of poster art by the March Fair Board meeting in 2023.
- You'll receive a limited-edition t-shirt for the 2023 Fair, tickets to the Fair, and a Fair "swag bag" full of goodies!
- Artist exposure! Between the marketing and the press that picks up information on the poster artist, this is a great way to get your name out there and share your talent!
- You're helping out a locally produced event, getting involved in your community, and supporting the largest county-wide event in the islands!
- You’re joining fellow artists in Fair history!
- Your work is shared locally and beyond via regional and local newspapers, online blogs and event sites, flyer and bulletin boards on all the ferry-served islands, and on ferries (artist name not permitted on ferry poster copies).
- The donation of your artwork is tax deductible (San Juan County is a political subdivision of Washington State. Contributions made to San Juan County are tax deductible under Internal Revenue Service Code Section 170(c)(1), which states: “a contribution or gift to or for the use of a State, a possession of the United States, or any political subdivision of any of the foregoing shall be deductible for Federal Income Tax purposes, but only if the contribution or gift is made for exclusively public purposes).
Media Contact: Brandon Cadwell, Parks & Fair Director, email@example.com, 360-370-7452
About San Juan County’s Department of Parks, Recreation, and Fair
San Juan County’s Department of Parks, Recreation, and Fair oversees public parks on all four ferry-served islands, manages camping, and hosts the San Juan County Fair. The department offices are located at 849 Argyle Avenue, Friday Harbor, WA 98250. For more information about San Juan County’s Department of Parks, Recreation, and Fair, visit www.sanjuanco.com/430/Parks-Recreation-Fair.