SAN JUAN COUNTY, WA. March 29, 2023 – The San Juan County Sheriff’s Office is pleased to announce the implementation of a cell phone and web-based application which will help the public connect with deputies to find information, view alerts, and submit anonymous tips from their smartphone.
This new tool – called tip411 - will facilitate a two-way line of communication that will enable the public to anonymously provide information that will assist the Sheriff’s Office in the solving of crimes and creating a safer community. You can even attach photographs and videos after you submit an initial tip!
- This service is being provided to the public for non-emergency use. Tips may not be reviewed until the following business day and should not be used for in-progress emergencies.
- This service is not meant to substitute for a call to request police in an emergency.
- In the event of an emergency, you should always contact 9-1-1.
One of the main purposes of this service is to swiftly share information with the community. By signing up for alerts, the public can be notified of information regarding major traffic accidents, missing persons, inclement weather, major fire emergencies and more.
There are three ways to submit an anonymous tip to provide vital information on crimes, criminals, or those engaging in illicit or criminal activity.
OPTION 1 – SUBMIT A TIP VIA TEXT MESSAGE
To send an anonymous tip via text message to the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office, text the keyword SJCSO and your tip to 847411 (tip411). When the text message is sent, the tipster’s cellular phone number is completely anonymous and is never received by the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office.
OPTION 2 – DOWNLOAD THE SAN JUAN CO WA SHERIFF APP
In addition to submitting tips, tip411 assists the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office in communicating with community members on important public safety matters by sending public safety alerts. Community members can sign up for all San Juan County Sheriff’s alerts or customize their alert settings. Types of alerts may be public safety messages, re-routing traffic due to an accident, or other public safety matters.
OPTION 3 – FILL OUT THE ONLINE FORM
Use the form on the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office webpage HERE to submit your anonymous tip online.
After submitting a tip using the web service, you will be assigned a six-digit code with numbers and letters. That is your anonymous ID to log back into the system.
What is a helpful tip?
Not all ‘tips’ are helpful. To ensure that you are contributing useful information, be sure to include as much information as you can that answers the questions: Who, What, When, Where, and How you know. See examples of helpful tips below:
- Not in-progress emergencies
- Not helpful: “I need help now!”
- Helpful: “I’ve seen one of your “wanted” suspects frequenting the 123 Store this week.”
- Suspicious activity
- Not Helpful: “I’m suspicious of my neighbor.”
- Helpful: "There have been a lot of strange cars and people at 1234 Any Street. Many people go in and come out of the house at all hours of the day and night and they are very noisy at night."
- Traffic enforcement issues
- Not helpful: “People are always speeding in my neighborhood.”
- Helpful: “I notice people regularly speeding on 123 Any Street during the afternoons.”
Those with questions are asked to call the Sheriff’s Office at 360 378-4151.
Used in over 2,000 communities across the US, tip411 is a web-based toolset that features innovative smartphone apps, anonymous text tips, group alerting, and secure social media publishing tools. tip411 helps agencies engage community members of all ages by enabling anyone with a cell phone to submit tips via a smartphone app or text anonymous tips that can be responded to in real time by authorized personnel in the agency or organization. Learn more at www.tip411.com or by following @tip411CO on Twitter.
About San Juan County’s Sheriff’s Office
San Juan County’s Sheriff’s Office is committed to protecting the lives, property, and rights of all residents and visitors, as well as to maintain order and reduce crime through education, prevention, and enforcement of the law. The Sheriff’s Office is located at 96 Second Street, Friday Harbor, WA 98250. For more information about San Juan County’s Sheriff’s Office, visit https://www.sanjuanco.com/344/Sheriff.