The County Council adopted an amended Comp. Plan Vision with Resolution 27-2018 on Tuesday June 12, 2018.
On June 12, 2018 County Council approved resolution 27-2018, adopting amendments to the Comprehensive Plan Vision. You can read the adopted Vision here and resolution 27-2018 here: https://www.sanjuanco.com/DocumentCenter/View/15816/Resolution-27-2018-Adopt-Amended-Vision-for-Comp-Plan-Update
The Vision is a statement of the County's shared aspirations for the future. It acts as a guide for the formulation of Comprehensive Plan Goals and Policies to help guide San Juan County into the future.
Additional information on the Vision amendment process, including public comments and staff reports, can be found under the 'Vision' tab here: https://www.sanjuanco.com/1306/Comprehensive-Plan-Elements
Planning Commission began working on the Vision amendments at their January 19, 2018 meeting. One hundred twenty public comments were received between the January 19, 2018 Planning Commission meeting and the May 18, 2018 joint County Council and Planning Commission public hearing. These public comments were considered throughout the Commission’s entire revision process. The following bullet points summarize the process:
- January 19, 2018 – Planning Commission considered the public input from San Juan County Vision 2036 Update Process report prepared using broad public outreach during fall 2017. The Commission directed staff to prepare an initial draft proposal.
- February 16, 2018 – Planning Commission received written and oral public comment on the initial draft.
- March 16, 2018 – More written and oral public comments were received on the initial draft. Planning Commission considered all public comments and refined the draft proposal further by consensus.
- April 20, 2018 – Additional written and oral public comments were received on the March 16 draft. Planning Commission refined the draft.
- May 18, 2018 – Public testimony on the Planning Commission’s April 20 draft Vision amendments was received at the joint County Council and Planning Commission public hearing. County Council closed the public hearing, reserving the right to reopen the hearing later. Following the public hearing, the Commission deliberated and arrived at recommended amendments to the Vision, found the staff report dated May 30, 2018.
- June 11, 2018 - County Council was briefed on the Planning Commission findings and recommendation. They made some minor changes to the Planning Commission's recommendation and asked staff to prepare a resolution to adopt the amended Vision.
- June 12, 2018 - County Council unanimously voted to approve resolution 27-2018 Adopting an amended Vision for the 2018 update of the San Juan County Comprehensive Plan